Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Critical Nature of Extra Napkins


So one of those things that has always struck me as odd is the big wad of napkins that often come with a fast food order. It has always seemed to me that the number of napkins that one receives in any specific instance is inversely proportional to the actual need for extra napkins. You know what I’m saying, the two napkins and two tiny wet naps with the family size bucket of chicken, the four napkins with the extra large pizza and the fist full that accompanies the relatively dry burger and fries, no ketchup. 
While all those who’ve ever seen me eat or imbibe liquid of any sort can testify, I am a multiple napkin kind of girl. Always have been, always will be. Over the years I have therefore developed a wee bit of a paper napkin collecting habit, a habit which has served me fairly well all in all as witnessed by the events of the past 24 hours. A dirty grocery cart (ick!), a broken egg on the kitchen floor, milk spilled on the coffee table, coffee spilled on the coffee table too for that matter, an errant sneeze at the computer keyboard, a stray tear squeezed out in response to a memorable musical performance on TV, you get the idea.
But today I saw my spare paper napkin collecting habit in a slightly more sinister light as a colleague witnessed me pulling a spare napkin from my desk drawer in order to put it to some minor use and she asked, in a tone of voice that I thought was rather melodramatically aghast given the circumstance, if it was indeed the case that the entire drawer was full of spare paper napkins. Ah, yes, in fact that is true. I have an entire desk drawer devoted to the accumulation of extra paper napkins. Is that so wrong? It’s not like it’s a big drawer. Does that make me a hoarder or just well prepared?
As long as I’m the Empress of the Cocoverse, which is a position held in perpetuity by the way, I’m going with “well prepared”.

P.S. I promise to figure out how to get rid of the annoying advertising that I added in a strange fit of "I wonder what this button does?" Now I know. Ick

No comments:

Post a Comment