Thursday, October 15, 2009

More random and trivial thoughts on the day


Ah, my friend the blank page. Look out, a long post this one. I am trying to capture all the amazing people in my day.  Get yourself a beverage before you sit down to read.

With, in the background one of my favorite movies Desperado, a Robert Rodriguez film with Antonio Banderas and Selma Hayek.  My kinda movie. Sexy. Violent. A gorgeous reinterpretation of Love and Honor. Which in all honestly is really my favorite subject matter. Regardless of genre.

This will be a bit of a collection of random thoughts. It has been a strange day full of hard work and people I care about. They are all lovely and all deserve mention.

In the Faculty executive meeting I was charmed by a highly accomplished and, if I can be permitted to use such a word, a cherished academic. He shared the story of one of our young colleagues, now seconded to the Senate, using modern technology to let him know the very minute a hard fought initiative had passed.  He was charmed, and so were we all by the fact that though she has been absent from our lives for nearly 2 months, she thought of him and sent a message at 9 p.m. that she knew would bring him joy. Thanks Sweet Potato. I miss you. You are a quality human being in a way that all around you sense, but a few of us extra lovelies truly appreciate.  Said academic even took an extra moment at the meeting’s end to compliment my idea – something that the very best of them do by the way -  I love that kind of compliment from them, it always seems to be so pure and delightful. Make a note of that kids – the best of them are excited and delighted when you posit an idea that they had not yet considered.

Sorry, distracted a moment by             Q. Tarantino’s overacting. Well, at least he limits his appearances to cameos. Hope  I can have the wisdom to do the same. Super, now he’s been shot and I can continue.

I had a lunchtime meeting with Princess Z and that was a pleasure. She was rightly cautious about committing to the production of The Lobby, but we had a wonderful chick chat nonetheless, each, I think in awe of the other’s talent.  And though gossip in its truest sense can be harmful (which is the discussing of other people’s business of which you have no part nor direct knowledge), it was nice to hear from her the Empress’s excitement over the work we have been doing on Beauty Boys.  Most importantly we agreed we need to do a weekly phone call, regardless of personal or professional content. Our lives as strong creative women rarely allow us to make real deep and true connections void of competition, but when you find one, trust me, grab it and cherish it.

This doesn’t even begin to laud the folks who have crossed my radar today.  But you know what? Gotta write on something that pays! I’m such a hack.

No comments:

Post a Comment