Thursday, October 1, 2009

Shadows Gather - Chapter 2, Part 1

Shadows Gather - Chpater 2, Part 1
Copywrite 2009, Carolynne Ciceri
I don’t really see why I have to say anything at all. Not like I’m the heroine of this piece or nothing. Fine. I owe Irene something. She did save my ass once and by that I really do mean save my ass from some Trolls thinking to BBQ my magnificence and serve me up with a side of slaw. Still, some serious water under the bridge since then and I paid her back on that more’n twice over. The deal now is strictly business. We’re partners in Shadows Gather. Okay fine not partners exactly, she owns it and pays me to run it but I’m buying from her one crappy chrome and leather barstool at a time. At my last tally I now own 12.5% of this den of iniquity and by that I mean den of iniquity.


Well excuse me if you have no interest in our business arrangements, I was just trying to explain how and why I came to be involved in this whole sorted business. She’s my boss. She calls “Tequila!”, and Tequila comes a runnin’. Besides, I don’t as a rule believe in taking advantage of naïve and inexperienced boys but I know Rennie well enough to know that she has no such moral compass. So, I was up there as fast as my Jimmy Choos would take me. Yeah, they both tell me he’s 22 but I can smell a lie for a possum from 500 yards. Michael might be 18 just, but he’s claiming 22 and Rennie is claiming to believe it.


Things were pretty rough when I walked in that’s true enough. I can see the shine in her eyes and smell that weird coppery apple smell she gets when the pain is bad. Actually she smells kinda nice with the bourbon splashed over top but you tell her that and I’ll call you a damn liar. And that pretty boy all draped at her feet like, I don’t even know. A Greek statue, an angel fallen to earth? His t-shirt all pulled outta his waistband like that you could see every muscle of that six pack and that smooth white skin. Any way never mind, you get the point. He’s a sweet boy and she is, well you know better’n me what she is, not like I have to be explaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment