Thursday, June 11, 2009

Banff 2009 - Favorite Things


  • Snow falling as I turned off Hwy 1 to Banff
  • Dancing with Mr. Mystery at the BBQ
  • Walking into a room of 800 strangers alone and picking the Producer out of the crowd in less than 5 minutes
  • The Producer being even nicer than I thought he would be
  • The weird wi fi access that forced me out of my room and into the foyer, where I had to engage with the world
  • Getting Paul Gross to autograph my copy of Passchendale
  • Paul Gross’s delightful interview
  • Paul Gross’s terrible weave for the Gunslinger
  • Everything Paul Gross
  • The shocked look on the face of the head of the Shaw Fund’s face when I told her my hand injury was from shark bite
  • The Empress’ success
  • Thankful I packed socks
  • The Flash Forward flock approaching through the lobby – Mr Mystery and the Empress expected, Shooter and Delicious a wonderful surprise
  • Having my weekly Flash Forward assignment to do “something outrageous” be so outrageous that I can’t put it in writing cause that would be evidence
  • The great bathtub in my little jewel box of a hotel room under the eaves
  • The petite Ramsey’s Lounge and its handsome and accommodating bartenders
  • Drinking too many Strongbow and laughing too loudly with Delicious and Shooter in the middle of the afternoon
  • The kindness of strangers – including the agents!
  • The long gloaming and twilight of the mountains nearing solstice
  • Learning to navigate the labyrinth that is this extraordinary hotel
  • The cut of Ron Moore’s suit (Battlestar Galactica, Roswell, etc.) and his revival of the usage of the word ‘frack’
  • The gift of a large bourbon and useful poker tips from the Appalachian Princess
  • Joe Novak’s Rookie Forum
  • All the surprised and delighted comments on Po’s graphic design of both my card and the Rain Girls two sheet
  • Grabbing the courage to pitch to the CTV exec at the Women in the Director’s chair launch party
  • The CTV exec liking the pitch and asking for materials to forward to Space
  • The cheese burger with the million dollar view in the Rundle Lounge
  • So excited about my Rain Girls two sheet I made everyone at the table take one, including the reluctant friend of Mr. Mystery’s, only to discover later she is a big development exec - oops, should remember to ASK people before shoving paper
  • Someone with a biz card with a 30 Rockefeller Centre NY address asking for my permission to forward the Rain Girls pitch to the “West Coast group” 
  • The great rah-rah emails and Facebook posts from absent friends
  • A goodbye hug from a development exec
  • Feeling frackable just about every moment of every day!

2 comments:

  1. ok you can NOT post "SO outrageous" - and leave us hanging like that! arg!!! DO TELL!!

    safe home - xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. I do know that discretion is the better part of valour. And despite my myriad flaws, I shall not commit to writing that which is best whispered into someone's ear over a champagne cocktail (Yuk!) at the Sutton Place.

    ReplyDelete