Monday, June 8, 2009

A Little Sweet, A Little Sour

So why do I feel like its Jr. high and I’m new and wearing my best duds and everyone’s eyes skate over me, pausing only for a nano second then dismissing me and moving on. I am a fracking awesome writer.  I am a super loyal and giving friend. Talk to me God damn it! Do I really have to do all the heavy lifting and approach every single person?  Will no one look at me and say “Hey! She looks interesting, I’m going to see what she’s got going on.” Yah.  Three hours after the rookie session and I am already discounting their advice. Guy terrified me by likening the process to dating and marriage.  Like I’ve ever been good at that shit.  Left at the alter for the Tupperware woman/Highschool dropout. Haven’t had a real date since the 1997. Why am I here?

Okay. It’s all better now. Breathing. Having fun. Taking it all a little less seriously.  I thought lot’s about not including the above passage, but all singing and dancing sunshine and postivity is not a writer’s lot and to pretend otherwise would just not be right.  There will be these little bubbles of noxious gas bubbling up from time to time. Despite the fact that I no longer allow my Dark Side to rule, it still exists and by its existence gives greater sparkle and depth to the joyful.

The Sage who has been hosting the Rookies in the Rockies laid it out at 7:30 this a.m. it’s hard. Suck it up. Grab some courage. Everyone here had a first Banff once and pretty much without exception they’ll soften up a bit when you tell them it’s yours. Because they remember. So I only met 7 people yesterday. They were all nice. Even the first two ladies who didn’t laugh at my sharkbite joke. And hey, I did pick the Producer out of the crowd and had a really lovely chat with him.  Met three more people while at his side who likely forgot me 2 seconds after they glanced my way. It was very very very interesting to watch people relate to him.  He said it was a bit odd being on the other side of the table – all his previous Banffs he’d been here pitching, now he was the pitchee.  And I think I managed to be me with him as well as set him free from the conversation in a timely manner so I do feel good about that.  I get to formally pitch him tomorrow at 9 a.m and I’m really looking forward to it.  Today I met 3 people before 8:30 a.m. and now am prepping for my Face to Face meetings with a couple of agents.  Lots learned already, like I should have emailed folks whose meeting times were all booked up and ask for a few minutes outside of the formal sessions. But I didn’t so I’ll have to be diligent about following up.

Thirty minutes to my first meeting so I will wrap up.  Meeting the Empress for lunch at noon which will be so nice to see a fellow Flasher Forward. ‘Kay kids, here I go strolling to the edge of my comfort zone!

No comments:

Post a Comment