Monday, September 7, 2009

Flow vs. the Briar Patch

Since I just spent a very distilled week in a room with 15 other writers I can be forgiven I think for stating that the process of writing and the nature of writers is very much on my mind. Ordinary women with extraordinary voices. One of the things brought home to me was that this thing called writing is not easy. While all of us gifted with a high school education can write – we know the alphabet can shape words and phrases – that is a far cry from shaping meaning and magic. One of the surprising things I learned (to be truthful all learned things during this workshop were surprising since I had it on good authority from Skyhammer before I went that I didn’t need to learn anything more about writing) is that flat writing can come from Flow and amazing writing from the Briar Patch. Like many writers finding the ease and rush of Flow has always been the thing to pursue. The idea being that if it feels brilliant that it is brilliant. I suppose if I had thought about it in any depth before setting sail I would have known how silly that is. I have had enough creative collaboration to know that those who smoke weed before working only think they are being brilliant. In the light of day…

Since returning and sharing with a few of my tiny but vociferous fan club the truly kind and positive things my Sisters of the Pen said to me about my writing, one oddity looms large. My fans insist that I’ve known all along how good I am. That isn’t quite true. I think a person can know that they are good. Competent maybe. Great, nope. I don’t think great is something that one can accurately assess in ones own work. Cause you know what? Great has nothing to do with me. It has everything to do with you. Yes gentle reader I can work my fingers to the bone for you, but ultimately it is you receiving it that makes it any good. Kinda freeing that realization. I will continue to strive to be good and let the great take care of itself or not. I was advised that first, last and always to bring my willingness, that is the key, and lucky me, that is something I can do.

Another thing among the 9 million things I learned is that just because we crave applause and praise and kudos for our writing, doesn’t make it a bad thing that we receive those things. After all, receiving genius is a huge rush and let me tell you I received some this past week that will stay with me all my days. If I tell you something you wrote touched me – thank you is the only acceptable response. Deep breath, respect us both, and say “thank you”.

No comments:

Post a Comment