Thursday, September 17, 2009

When you let the pen go where it will

The exercise was to set the timer and spend ten minutes writing a list of the things I want. So I did. I include this here as an example of what can happen when you heed the teacher’s advice and let the pen take you where it wants to go. I left out the cheese, charcoal and fried chicken, but then the timer did cut me off.

Reproduced unedited. Day 4 Homework - Dames at Sea Writer's Workshop

The Wanting

I want music from the morning

I want respect from my mother

I want worship from my book club

I want adoration from my muse

I want health from joy

I want joy from every day

I want healing from my guitar

I want strength from my heart

I want nimbleness from my feet

I want money from the industry

I want a vineyard in Bordeaux from myself

I want friends from my love of story

I want story from my pain

I want beauty from my breath

I want shadow from my soul

I want love from surprising and joyful people

I want absolution from my conscience

I want to be released from penance

I want more coffee from the steward

I want safe passage from the wild things in the Land-of-What-If and-Maybe

I want passion from men

I want kindness from women

I want compassion from myself

I want my body from college days

I want a new car from the universe

I want a room with a view and five hundred a year from my pen

I want laughter from my wit

I want protection from the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune

I want to give from head, heart and spirit

I want to watch the gloaming from the terrace of my castle for the next 100 years

For the next 100 years

I want to watch the gloaming from the terrace of my c

For the next 100 years

I want to watch the gloaming, sometimes alone, sometimes in good company from the terrace of my castle

built of breath and sticks shit and rusty barb wire, belly laughs and snide snickers sequins and cotton candy strawberry jam guitar strings and sea shells creosote and Carrara marble ice and comic books, empty read lipstick cases, silk shawls, cinnamon hearts cocktail umbrellas, day old baguettes, broken crayons, throwing stars, red silk lingerie & used condoms dried lavender and 600 thread count sheets crucifixes and broken glass paper clips and diamond bracelets thunderstorms and Catherine wheels body shots bloody bandages and lace hand kerchiefs rock salt and silver candle sticks purple velvet and grape vines wicked daggers and leather bound books, rotten fish & pepper pots prayer flags pine cones cinder block neon tubing crocodile tears warm hugs and butterfly kisses


No comments:

Post a Comment