Monday, September 14, 2009

Shadows Gather - Chapter 1, Part 2

Shadows Gather

A Novel by Carolynne Ciceri

ã Carolynne Ciceri, 2009

Chapter 1, Part 2

"You set me up, from the moment you met me, you knew." His voice has dropped a bit and the hand is steadier on the gun. That's a good sign, right? "From the moment I met you I knew that you were special, if that's what you mean." Wow, I sound a hell of a lot calmer than I feel. "Mica please, you know I want to help, you know I'd do anything for you. Please put the gun down." I push backward slightly on the wheels of my chair and open up a few inches between me and that amazingly sparkly gun barrel. Serves me bloody right for installing crystal chandeliers in every room. The play of a miniature rainbow off the barrel of a 45 is not the lighting effect I had in mind.

His eyes drop to the chair and the gun barrel droops accordingly. Damn, I thought I taught him better than that. Oh well, time for remedial gun-handling 101 after I talk him out of shooting me. "Haven't I shown you that already?" My voice falls too, to almost to a whisper. He's the reason I'm in this chair and hell, I'm not proud of rubbing it in his face at a time like this but sometimes a girl has gotta do what a girl has gotta do.

No comments:

Post a Comment